No subject

Thu Nov 26 20:43:27 GMT 2009

working with the libraries, the most sensible option in the long term
seems to be to replace the VDPAU support with VA-API and use the
VDPAU-VA-API library (vdpau-video) to translate to VDPAU (so that only
the VA-API code was in MythTV etc. and any VDPAU quirks etc. are handled
in the translation library).  I would be keen to hear everybody's views
on that, especially as it sounds like the VDPAU support in MythTV works
brilliantly.  I understand that VA-API was designed to be easy to
implement in programs and to support multiple-vendor's hardware, while
VDPAU was more an nVidia-specific effort.  I don't, however, know a lot
about it.  From general mailing-list chatter, the feeling that I get is
that generic efforts in Gallium3D etc. are also much more likely to use
VA-API than VDPAU.  Intel obviously also currently uses VA-API.

I would be very keen to hear from anybody who tries out this hardware
acceleration with FreeviewHD streams.

> We have had promises of working acceleration in intel graphics chpsets
> and working open source drivers for AMD/ATI for ages now. Result? nix.
> nothing.

ATi/AMD's Free drivers are working fine for me (I don't use 3D on my
Myth box) and they have made huge strides forward since the specs were
released (when AMD bought the company).  Detail of AMD/ATi's support of
Free drivers is here:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=100269&postcount=285

I am very keen to see VA-API GPU-acceleration in Free drivers (and will
happily donate to such an effort), but expect that it may be a while yet
(though Bridgman's comments above are encouraging).

Regards,

Aaron

--
FSF Associate Member: 5632