[mythtvnz] Quiet DVD drives?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Nov 25 21:28:57 GMT 2009

I am looking at what I would need for a MythTV box for my mother.  She
is a complete technophobe and can be guaranteed to find a way of
making any piece of technology do something strange.  She does have
some DVDs that she watches, including opera, so any box for her would
need a DVD drive.  But all the modern ones seem to be very high speed
and *extremely* loud, so that they grossly interfere with hearing a
program if they are in the same room.  The obvious solution to that is
what I do - rip the DVD and play it from hard disk.  But my mother is
very unlikely to be able to do that.  So, I was wondering if anyone
out there had run across a quiet DVD drive recently?