[mythtvnz] case for mini itx FE solution

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Nov 19 04:02:29 GMT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Rout" <nick.rout at gmail.com>
To: "MythTV in NZ" <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:31 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] case for mini itx FE solution

> Fankly I would look at using something/anything that is lying around
> the house for a case. Look at http://mini-itx.com for inspiration :)
>
> With the external power supply your choices are pretty wide. Some of
> the examples there may not be pretty, but they would be a talking
> point :)

I've realised an old IBM mini tower PC case I have with a 500 series CPU (motherboard pretty much useless without an IBM BIOS
update - that I could never source) is in some respects an ideal fit as it will presumably accept a mini-itx motherboard, has an 85W
ATX PS built in, the CD could be replaced with a DVD if required, and there is some ventilation present by virtue of the internal
space and PS fan draw.  The PS fan noise in these is minimal as the majority of the noise comes from the HDD and/or CPU fan - that
may well be un-necessary with a dual Zotac CPU in this box.

Must be some desktop like systems that are similarly suitable.  I noted one possibility on trademe for $1.50!

Visual aesthetics?  Someone will probably comment!

For me part of the criteria to meet is that the front end be able to play 1080i files/ streams on VLC, (without the benefit of
vdpau) I presume the dual CPU unit is not up to that - but perhaps it is?