[mythtvnz] Nova T-500 cards

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Nov 16 08:26:18 GMT 2009

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:03:55 +1300, you wrote:

>What I always understood the nova-t-500 to be:
>
>The original Nova-T-500 is a USB device.
>Two USB tuners & USB hub on  PCI card.
>
>Simple cheap clever way to get dual tuners on one PCB.
>
>I read something on the web about a reason for going to two antenna inputs.
>Don't remember the details, but seems pointless & annoying as will have more
>loss with one antenna thru' splitter.
>Only benefit would be pointing the two UHF antenna in different directions.

It is actually better to have two aerial inputs.  If there is only one
input, then there has to be a splitter on the board, and they are
frequently of dubious quality.  With separate inputs, you can feed
them both whatever quality signal you want, without having another 6?
dB of loss in the onboard splitter.  In NZ, you need three DVB-T
tuners to be able to record all channels at the same time.  So you
probably will have a three-way splitter with the third aerial feed
going to another card.  With an onboard splitter, that third aerial
would have a higher signal level as it is not further split and the
signal to the two Nova-T tuners would be lower level.