[mythtvnz] case for mini itx FE solution

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 06:43:00 GMT 2009

Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I've been reading the list for quite some time, lurking behind the
> screen. I search the archives (of both the NZ and general list) and
> haven't found a good answer yet.
> My current FE is on its last legs (hardware errors around video card
> mainly, some issues with booting) and before it goes I would like to
> build a new one. The first one was build a bit as an experiment using
> pretty much random components, but since the rest of the family got
> used to the 'record and watch later'  there is no coming back ;-) (and
> the WAF is quite high atm, don't want it to drop due to hardware
> failures)
> Since random (and ugly) is not an option for our lounge any more (so I
> was told), I started looking for something more 'aesthetically
> pleasing'  options (and not too loud either).
> The idea is that I'll use the ZOTAC ion-itx motherboard (either A or D
> variant, depending on the case power supply options
> http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10270
> ) and use pxe to boot it over the network from the BE. The CPU
> together with GPU should have enough grunt to pull even 1080p and the
> GUI (please correct me here if I'm wrong).
>
> The only problem is finding the right case for it.
> I found the Nexus Psile case
> (http://www.psile.com/index.php?page=catalog_details&CID=1 ) but i'm
> not sure if it can take any internal IR receiver (I've asked the
> manufacturer, but no reply so far).
> Then I had a look at mCubed HFX Micro M2
> (http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=257
> ), but it weights quite a lot, and shipping it over here looks a bit
> pricey. Besides - I don't think I need all that heat dissipation
> capability with the Intel Atom on board.
>
> I had a look at some of the Silverstone cases and they look quite
> nice, but I'm not sure about the IR receivers either (and the ML02
> doesn't really appeal to me).
>
> Hence the question - what case would/do you use for the mini-itx board
> that seats in the lounge?
>
> kind regards
> Pshem

Interesting question.  I've been thinking about something similar.
Thing I was thinking though is if everything is integrated into the
motherboard and with network boot there is no HDD; why do you need all
that space inside the case?  I've been looking for one that's just bug
enough to fit the zotac ion in and set for passive cooling.  From what I
remember about the Ions, some include DC power adapters so no PSU is
needed either.

Thoughts anyone?