[mythtvnz] Tinfoil madness

stuart stugo at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 5 07:11:40 GMT 2009

Hi Dylan
 I will throw in my two cents worth in. First I do not have any Sat gear
set up, must get round to it.
But I am a sparky so I will throw in some ideas.
 As has been pointed out a multi meter with some testing info would
help, a ups even a interactive and not a double conversion type will
probably not sort out a grounding or earthing fault.
 The think that leaps out is that the is no problem when isolated from
the mains, on battery. But I do have a question, does your signal
improve or do they remain the same?
If it remains the same I would try a get that up, I may be wrong but I
thought that getting it around 70% or above would me preferable.
I can give you instructions on how to test you earthing at power point
and gear to a ruff level with out spending heaps of money on special gear
 but you will need at least a cheap meter.
One last thing  as I do not now the area you are in, but is the actual
aerial actually the correct one for the area, A electrical supplier like
Rexel, usually will be able to check, I noticed that one I had was
different from the neighbors and was the wrong type.
Stu