[mythtvnz] Tinfoil madness

Dean Pemberton dean at deanpemberton.com
Wed Nov 4 09:40:36 GMT 2009

Dylan Hall wrote:
> Let me begin with the mad picture, then explain how I got there (see
> attached).
>
> 3. Something electrical, ground loop, noisy power, etc... Laptop
> running on battery is happy, PC running on mains sad. Added an online
> UPS to the mix but this didn't help.

OMG =)

I know that people have had some real problems with earthing and DVB-S.
Esp when plugging electrical connections from a set top box to a PC or TV.
Googling for "DVB earthing" etc might bring you up some tips.

If the tinfoil helps then it might be providing a common earth on
everything.  What happens if you remove the foil, but earth the antenna,
cable shield and the splitter?
Does it achieve the same thing as the tinfoil?

As another idea.  What does your CRO tell you is going on between the
splitter housing and the PC case if you disconnect things?  Got a
voltage there? Spikes?

Other than that, learn to love tinfoil =)

Dean