[mythtvnz] Problems reinsalling MythTV 0.21

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Sun Nov 1 18:28:41 GMT 2009

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 02:01:41 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> 2009/11/1  <james at booths.net.nz>:
> > I just 'upgraded' my Mythbuntu system to 9.10. MythTV 0.22 did not
> > work out to well for me (very unstable) so have reverted back to 0.21.
> > I followed JYA's instructions for rolling back, however I am having a
> > problem with libmyth 0.21-0. When Synaptic tries to install libmyth I
> > get:
> >
> > E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libvdpau0_0.2-0ubuntu11_i386.deb: trying to
> > overwrite '/usr/lib/libvdpau_trace.so', which is also in package
> > nvidia-185-libvdpau 0
> >

> That's because you have kept the default Ubuntu nvidia driver packages.
>
> Before trying to install myth; *only* upgrade the nvidia drivers for
> one of the one I ship (190.42 is the latest official release).
>
> Once nvidia as been upgraded, then install my mythtv packages.
>
> > I seem to be stuck in dependency hell. The conflict seems to be
> > between JYA's libvdpau0 package and Ubunutu's vdpau-driver
> > installation. Trying to uninstall conflicting packages just seems to
> > lead me in circles. Can anyone offer advice?
>
> Don't try to uninstal, it will be all automatic.
> My 0.21-packages will automatically install over the default
> mythbuntu/ubuntu ones if you have activated the "release" repository
> (do not activate "testing" or "debug".
>
> So in synaptic, to summarise: select unmark all, reload, select nvidia
> drivers from my repository, apply, then re-install mythtv 0.21
>
> But it would probably better to find out why 0.22 isn't stable for you...
>
> If you do want to stick to 0.21, make sure you lock that version,
> because the minute 0.22 is official, I will be moving the 0.22
> packages from testing into release.

Thanks Jean-Yves. I was doing as you state above, yet it kept coming up with conflicts with the myth-common package - seemed strange. In the end I had to uninstall Myth first and then the Ubunutu nvidia driver packages, and then reinstall from your repository. Myth worked OK, but I found many other apps kept hanging, so I reverted to my backup of 9.04. Will re-explore 9.10 at a later date.