[mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 02:03:15 BST 2009

________________________________

From: Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz>
To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Monday, 25 May, 2009 12:26:21 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] Advice for encoding ...

On 24/05/2009, at 9:45 PM, Jonathan Hoskin wrote:

I convert my kids stuff down into MP4 files. Video: H264 @ 1500k, Audio: AAC @ 160k. It's quite lossy but the kids don't care how pixelated Hi-5 is.

Roughly 800-900MB per hour - I've never gotten too scientific with exact sizes.

Shock horror - I actually use Handbrake on OSX for most of my transcoding. My wife's Macbook has more grunt than my pvr. It also comes in handy for doing stuff for my iPhone, PS3, etc without spending three hours on Google figuring out how.

With a good encoder H.264 at 1500k should look quite good

I transcode Lazytown for my daughter to H.264 at around 1500k and it generally looks as good as the broadcast MPEG2 SD streams, and yes handbrake rocks.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz
website - http://www.openmedia.co.nz

Is it possible to use Handbrake to convert Myth recordings and honouring the cut list?

(honouring kiwi spelling - honoring for google)