[mythtvnz] manually resetting the tuner card

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun May 24 06:49:23 BST 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> On 23/05/2009, at 12:01 PM, Mark van Dijk wrote:
>
> I have a Hauppague PVR-500 card (dual analog).  Occasionally, something
> seems to go wrong with one of the tuners, such as:
>   1) no sound
>   2) ok sound, but extremely poor picture quality
>   3) pure static (both pic and sound)
>   4) no recording file at all (i.e. MythTv has a recording entry in the
> DB, but no MPEG file on disk)
>
> This is only very occasionally (maybe once every 2 weeks) - and
> generally (though not always) seems to occur after my box has been
> running for more than a day or two.  a simple reboot normally fixes the
> issue immediately.  Funny thing is that when the issue occurs, the other
> tuner continues to work as normal.  Once the issue starts, it will not
> go away on its own, and from then on, any recordings that use that tuner
> are no good.  This has been an issue through several clean installations
> of Mythbuntu (from 7.10 to 9.04).
>
> It is entirely possible that I have a faulty motherboard (a very old
> Asus A7N8X-deluxe).  I have had issues for years with USB devices under
> both Linux and Windows on this machine...
>
> Is it possible to do a software reset of the tuner card somehow so that
> i don't have to reboot the machine?  If so, then perhaps i can get
> MythTv to reset the card before each recording.
>

> Try asking on the LinuxMedia mailing list as Hans Verkil who wrote the
> driver is usually there.
> Sadly I don't think you can. I spent a bunch of time trying to resolve these
> sorts of issues, and Hans has put a lot of work arounds in the driver, but
> it still occasionally goes wrong.
> Steve

I don't know whether this will work.

I don't recall the name of the kernel module for these cards - ivtv or
something (?) Whatever it is you could try

modprobe -r <modulename>
modprobe  <modulename>

modprobe -r usually takes out all dependent modules (ie modules that
were loaded just because <modulename> needed them. They should all
then load on modprobe.