[mythtvnz] epgsnoop problem

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri May 22 01:43:00 BST 2009

> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 11:07 +1200, Robin Gilks wrote:
>> A long time ago I reported a problem with the processing of the xml
>> files
>> out of epgsnoop by the xmltv utility tv_cat as the sky and freeview
>> listings are merged.
>>
>> The error message is...
>> /tmp/listings-freeview-11696.xml: empty string for with-lang value at
>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/XMLTV.pm line 1706.
>>
>> I thought I'd actually look into it a bit more today and it is due to an
>> empty <desc> field in the freeview listings. 282 instances in the log
>> file
>> and 282 <desc></desc> lines in the xml file!!
>>
>> I'm using the BZR version of epgsnoop and this is written from
>> outputters.py line 121 and it looks OK but somehow an empty field is
>> getting out! Can anyone who knows python better than me give me a clue
>> for
>> a fix?
>
> That's odd. I use tv_cat to join the files here and don't have an issue.
> Line 120 in outputters.py is;
>
> if 'description' in program and program['description']:
>
> which should take care of any empty descriptions. The latest revision
> should be 45, is that what you're running?

Hi Hads

Thats the very one - I even checked with a bzr pull & update that I had
the latest before I posted!!

Looking at the code it looks OK to me (but I've only been using Python for
a few weeks - I'm surprised I can spell it!!). All I can think of is that
there is a non-printing character buried in there somewhere.

This is from the run Thursday morning, 1st three items, two of which have
this problem...

<programme channel="tv3.freeviewnz.tv" start="20090521053000 +1200"
stop="20090521060000 +1200">
        <title lang="eng">Joyce Meyer</title>
        <desc></desc>
        <category>tvshow</category>
        <category>General Show</category>
</programme>
<programme channel="sportextra.freeviewnz.tv" start="20090523210000 +1200"
stop="20090524060000 +1200">
        <title lang="eng">TVNZ Sport Extra: Resumes Tomorrow At 6pm</title>
        <desc></desc>
        <category>tvshow</category>
        <category>General Show</category>
</programme>
<programme channel="tv1.freeviewnz.tv" start="20090523222500 +1200"
stop="20090524002500 +1200">
        <title lang="eng">Perfect Strangers</title>
        <desc>A local thriller about a woman who goes home with an
attractive stranger, to later realise she's been kidnapped.
Starring: Rachael Blake, Madeleine Sami and Sam Neill
(2003).</desc>
        <credits>
                <actor>Rachael Blake</actor>
                <actor>Madeleine Sami and Sam Neill (2003)</actor>
        </credits>
        <date>2003</date>
        <category>tvshow</category>
        <category>General Show</category>