[mythtvnz] Some channels missing while recording

Ross and Jemima Knudsen ross.jemima at gmail.com
Fri May 15 11:00:33 BST 2009

> I think what you are seeing is that the nova-s plus has only one real
> tuner. It looks like 2 because you have multi-rec working.
>
> What happens is that dvb is transmitted as multiple streams per
> multiplex (or mux). ie several video streams and their accompanying
> audio streams. one physical tuner can access all streams on a mux at
> once. One physical tuner can be multiple virtual tuners, each virtual
> tuner takes one channel (ie a video plus 1 or more audio) and presents
> it for recording/watching.
>
> The corollary is that if you are tuned to a channel on mux A on
> virtual tuner 1, you can only get other channels on the same mux,
> because the tuner can only access one mux at a time.
>
> The good thing is satellite freeview only has two muxes, and two cards
> will record all the TV you can get on satellite freeview. (I have each
> card set up as 4 virtual tuners.)

Someone else was talking to me about doing something similar on a
Windows box (ie multiple virtual tuners).  Is this possible for
FreeviewHD say on a Hauppauge T 500?  Would be cool if I could split my
tuners again.  Also how many muxes are there on the Terrestrial
broadcast?  Is there a howto somewhere?