[mythtvnz] VDPAU package can be removed?

Dylan Hall dylan at deedums.com
Fri May 8 01:01:37 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 11:02 +1200, Aaron Drysdale wrote:
> Because I get a small amount of tearing and judder while watching TV
> in myth. I originally thought it might have started when I turned on
> deinterlacing, but someone here said that this is most often
> associated with a mismatch between the source video fps and monitor
> refresh rate (at least that is what I took out of it.)
>

> Since we use 25 fps with PAL TV, then my understanding is that I would
> get a smoother video if I could run the TV at 50Hz. Do you not have
> that problem? As a test this morning, I turned off deinterlacing, but
> I still had the slight tearing so I assumed it must be a refresh rate
> problem.

I don't get any issues like that, but the vast majority of the content I
watch is .mkv and .avi files with US origins, so if anything, I probably
benefit from the 60Hz default.  What little TV I do watch is SD captured
from an analogue source so tends to look fairly rubbish at the best of
times.

It might also be worth noting that I use Freevo which uses mplayer for
all the playback.

> Currently I am just letting the OS select the preferred timing as
> well, and it is running at 1360x768 @ 60.01 Hz.
>

> I notice the EDID info you posted doesn’t show any other timings? I
> thought this TV would at least support 50Hz. Why is that not shown?

I'm curious myself, it seems unlikely that those are the only two modes
supported. While reading about the CustomEDID stuff mentioned by
Jean-Yves I can across this post
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126648) that talks
about using "gtf" to generate mode lines, e.g.

> gtf 1360 768 50

  # 1360x768 @ 50.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 39.55 kHz; pclk: 69.61 MHz
  Modeline "1360x768_50.00"  69.61  1360 1416 1560 1760  768 769 772 791
-HSync +Vsync

No idea if the above works, but might be worth a try. Read the rest of
the post at the link above, there are a bunch of other settings required
to force the use of the custom mode line.

Dylan