[mythtvnz] Problem with mythtv frontend after 9.04 upgrade

Vance McIndoe vance at juniper.net
Tue May 5 05:41:10 BST 2009

Can anyone point me at a fix for this problem with mythfrontend?

Basically, mythfrontend just starts up with a black screen.  Pressing
ESC still allows you to exit, or I can 'listen' to TV if I blindly
select "Watch TV", but I don't get any picture.  Seems to have been
quite some discussion on the problem in ubuntu
(https://launchpad.net/bugs/341898), but I don't see any definitive
resolution.

I've tried the suggested workaround of:
`XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS="1" mythfrontend`

And while that prevents the black-screen problem, the colours and
quality make the picture *completely* useless (not just mildly
annoying....)

Oh, and I have an nvidia card, not an ATI RADEON.

Vance.