[mythtvnz] DVB-T HD picture quality with NOVA-T

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 02:21:19 BST 2009

I seem to be chasing my tail a bit on my Myth system. Probably doesn't help that I only just started using Linux and Myth (well started 4 or more months ago -bit still a newbie).

I seem to have a fairly stable system but I have never been happy with my picture quality.

The main problem is pixelation when the scene pans quickly. The problem is worst on TVOne and TV2, happens sometimes on TV3 and almost never on the Freeview HD demo channel 100.

I suspected my reception but I borrowed a freeview HD settop box over the weekend and I couldn't fault the reception, also no pixelation at all with the settop box.

My signal strength reports around 53% on all channels if I put a masthead amplifier on I get 72% signal strength but it makes no difference to the pixelation.

My system is:

Separate frontend and backend - though I have tried with an all in one backend/frontend and the result were the same.

Backend:
Pentium 4 3Ghz
NOVA-T 500 tuner card
Unfortunately no PCIe slot so I can't put in a VDPAU capable card

Frontend:
ASUS M3N-HDMI  motherboard
Athlon 6000 (dual core) CPU
Built in NVIDIA 8300 graphics

I was hoping that others using the NOVA-T 500 could advise their experience, I am wondering if I am chasing something that is not possible. On the other hand if someone is getting pixelation free HD pictures using the NOVA-T 500 I would love to hear about your hardware and settings.

Cheers
Steve

      Get fit, feel better! All the help you need at Yahoo!Xtra Health - http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health