[mythtvnz] mythtvnz Digest, Vol 21, Issue 2

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat May 2 23:40:06 BST 2009

> I'll be working toward a wired solution, but looks difficult as the house
> is
> 2 story, (only 2yo and under warranty too)
>
> I do have a couple of spare 54G routers, so can dedicate one for the
> downstairs frontend. Not ideal, but may do for the mean-time

You might be lucky as with my 6 year old 2 storey house - all the phone
connections are star wired back to the garage with CAT5 cable. Not only
that but its been done properly so the room connectors are RJ45 with only
pins 4&5 dedicated to the phone which leaves 1, 2, 3 and 6 as the Ethernet
connection (standard T568A or T568B wiring).

I just went to the punchdown block in the garage and wired flying leads
into the block with RJ45 on them and put a cheap 100M switch in there.

--
Robin Gilks