[mythtvnz] Front-end hardware

Russ McMullan russ.mcmullan at gmail.com
Sat May 2 02:06:20 BST 2009

Hey all,

I'm about to move house, and would like to add 3 Mythtv Front-Ends.
(kitchen/dining, master b-room, & guest room). I've mailed the NZ mailing
list, as the prices and availability differ significantly in NZ.

I currently have a mythtv front-end/backend combo with dual DVB-S freeview
tuners, 42" Sony Plasma and am currently happy with SD. I have an additional
server machine which will be converted to a 3TB FreeNAS, where i'll migrate
the media & recordings which will be wired to the WRT-54G (DD_WRT) router.

For the hardware options I've checked out this page (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_SD_Frontend_Hardware) but it seems
outdated and doesn't include the EEE Box.

I'm happy with SD at this stage, and the network will probably be wireless
for one or two front-ends.

The biggest things are - it has to look tidy: No beige box, limited wires,
single remote.

   - I'm thinking of using the AppleTV but it is a bit steep at $500, but
   supports HD, has a remote, HDMI, wireless.
   - Other option is the EEE Box, cheaper at $429 (linux), does not appear
   to be HD, no remote (add $45 for MCE which can control TV), wireless.
   - Custom build 3 Mini-ITX (????)

   - Plus 3 x 19" monitors (or TV) with Built in speakers, and VESA mount.
   (another $400)

So it's looking like $900 per installation.. which is a bit high. I'd like
to do each room for around $500-$600.....  so that's about $200 per
front-end......

Any ideas?