[mythtvnz] favorite filesystem for large media drives?

criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 27 21:00:11 GMT 2009

Jim Tittsler wrote:
> What is the current favorite for the filesystem for a large media drive
> on a MythTV backend?  For the last 3+ years I've been using JFS which
> seemed to be the favourite at that time, but I've just gotten a larger
> drive and am wondering if I should switch to something else this time.
>
> There seem to be lots of blog postings suggesting that ZFS "isn't there
> yet" for Linux.  Is it too early to move to ext4 (and does it behave
> well with largish files)?

Mine are all XFS but that's because JFS was fiddly back then.

At work we did a lot of testing over external USB backup drives and the
best filesystem turned out to be JFS.  Its not the fastest, but it was
close.  The bonus of JFS is that its major fscks are not too long... if
ext3 decides it needs a full fsck then that can take hours.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/