[mythtvnz] Making bttv 34 Winfast 2000XP card work with LIRC/MythTV

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Wed Mar 25 08:53:21 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'm sorry to bother you all with a support question, but I have really
tried hard to answer my problem with guides on the web and just can't
get there.  Mythbuntu pretends to have a configuration utility for my
remote (Mythbuntu-control-center), but it doesn't help me either.

I have a bttv 34 Winfast 2000XP card and Mythbuntu 8.10.  The number
keys (0-9), enter key, suspend key and various other keys on my remote
work as if I had hit the corresponding keys on the keyboard.
Unfortunately, the cursor keys on the remote double as channel/volume
keys and don't work as cursor keys on a keyboard.  That is a shame as I
would be more than happy just to have enter and the cursor keys working.

irw, mode2, irrecord and LIRC all do not work.

I found some information on the Internet that said the remote was being
detected as a keyboard and that I had to add a hal rule to stop this
happening before LIRC would work, as hal was capturing things before
they could get to LIRC:

Using that, I wrote a rule and stopped the remote being detected as a
keyboard.  Unfortunately, that didn't help me get LIRC working.  I have
followed various guides on the Internet, but none have worked for me.
When I sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc and choose my card (it is in the
list), it can't start LIRC.  When I look in /dev/, there is no
/deb/lirc, /dev/lircd, /dev/lirc/0 or anything remotely similar.

I tried asking a question on Ubuntu first:
https://answers.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+question/54983
but, as nobody has been able to help me, I am hoping someone on this
list can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron