[mythtvnz] Problem with full disk

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Sat Mar 21 07:59:30 GMT 2009

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:59:31 +1200
AlanP <alan.p at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> At 06:39 p.m. 21/03/2009, you wrote:
> >I'm a bit flummoxed - can anyone offer any suggestions?//
>
> Exact same thing happened to me the other night.
>
> Go to /var/log. rm the lot, then go to /var/log/mythtv and nuke that too.
>
> All that space magically comes back after that. Funny.
>
> --
> Alan Podjursky                  ICQ 24423014
> "When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

As a sysadmin by trade, I could not *DISAGREE* more! If you do that, then the problem's going to recur. Probably. First up,

cd /
du -sk *

find out where the space is being used. If there's any (real) space used in /dev, then there's a device missing, and a flat file is being written in it's place.

If /var/log  is huge, then read the big logs and find out what the wingeing's all about. Act on the reported errors.

Sorry to be a miserable old bastard about this, but IMO it really is important to find, understand and address the problem, not stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away!

Steve.