[mythtvnz] Mini-itx vdpau motherboards?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:07:48 GMT 2009

The goss seems to be that if you are using vdpau then the PCI bus is
more than sufficient for the task, because you are pushing the
compressed video stream to the card.

Bluray disk movies have a max bitrate of 54Mbits/sec
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray). Most HiDef stuff you get will
have a lower rate.

PCI has a max rate of 133MBytes/sec
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Local_Bus) )note 133 M /BYTES/ vs 54
M /BITS/.

Even with real PCI rates being half the maximum there is still plenty
of room to push the video stream over PCI to the graphics card, by a
factor of more than 10.

If you don't believe me there are plenty of examples of people having
very good results with PCI and vdpau.

Cheers.