[mythtvnz] Sky

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 21:44:49 GMT 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Steve Holdoway <steve at greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:24:17 +1300
> James Booth <james at booths.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone explain what Sky has to gain/protect by restricting
>> customers to using only Sky-supplied decoders? Would it really be a
>> problem for them to supply CAM's for use in HTPC's etc?
>>
> Same as always... you can skip the ads with myth. Hits them right in the revenues (:

But they WILL sell/rent you a MySKY HD, which (I assume) allows skipping ads.

But as it brings in revenue from rent/sales, I guess they don't care so much.

Also CAM's allow *piracy*, which MySKY HD doesn't (afaik they store
the encrypted program on hard drive and decrypt each time you watch
it, so even taking the hard drive out and shoving it in a computer
ain't gonna get you far).