[mythtvnz] Sky->smart card reader->MythTV ???

Sam Hadley-Jones sam at samborambo.ws
Sun Mar 1 07:15:22 GMT 2009

(Repost, wrong subject line, sorry)

> Wrong.. Very very wrong.
>
> To watch a DVD under Linux you are circumventing TPM as you aren't
> using a licensed program, likewise if you watch Sky. If sky provided
> software to do this under Windows/Linux/Mac etc then we could do it
> legally, methods like ndscam etc aren't just borderline illegal, they
> are illegal under the new laws.

The Italian government realised the monopoly that News Corp had in their
country by tying their subscription to their "licensed" set top box. Sky
was forced to release a CAM to allow competition from other set top box
vendors. This seems like just pure common sense but no one here in NZ
has picked up on it. Think of it like buying Shell petrol and being told
you can only put it in a Honda vehicle.

Furthermore, the method of decrypting a DVB signal (ie: what goes on
inside a CAM module) is not secret, it is standards based. The problem
has always been the obscurity or non-conformance of the NDS
implementation. If Sky were ever to seek a prosecution for someone not
using their set top box, they would be guilty of using this new
copyright Act in order to protect a monopoly.

David and Steve, the two of you act as if you're already getting threats
from Sky. I don't believe anyone has been "told off" yet for writing
instructions on soft cams for Sky NZ. The least we can do is share
information and help - as is the OSS way. The most that can happen, in
the first instance, is a letter from Sky summarised as "stop that".

Sam.