[mythtvnz] Nova-T tuning times

Mark Kendall markk at kc.net.nz
Tue Jun 30 01:19:38 BST 2009

As previously mentioned, I recently installed a new machine with a
Nova-TD-500.  With the initial setup channel changes were a lot quicker
than they are now, however they did also regularly fail.  Unfortunately
I have not kept any record of updates applied although I know that the
following was done
  Started off with the Jaunty mythbuntu kernel
  Replaced the nova-t 1.20 firmware with the 1.10
  Compiled v4l-dvb drivers (which got infrared working)
  Used a Jean-Yves repository, just after or just before he announced
the 185 vdpau drivers
  Had ok channel changing times (a few seconds), but lots of crashes on
changing channels
  Set 150ms timeouts in mythtv for nova-td-500 channel change wait.
  At some point tried the 185 vdpau drivers, backed them out and had
lots of problems, compiled bew v4l-dvb drivers (which broke infrared
again)
  Noticed that channel changing was very slow.
  Obtained recent Jean-Yves changes and got system working a lot better,
channel changing is very slow.

System is an Intel box so it's not just AMD ones that it's happening on.
Unfortunately I haven't had any time to investigate further as my wife
already thinks I spend way too much time on the computer...

Mark