[mythtvnz] MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 00:38:42 BST 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen <
ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are correct in the first instance that the backend
> and frontend are not running as the same user.  Backend is running as
> mythtv user while frontend is running as another.  This user belongs to
> the mythtv group and so should have read access to the recordings folder
> (new recordings seem to have read access for all anyway).
>
> What I do have is symlinks.  The default location for the recordings in
> myth is /var/lib/mythtv/recordings but I have that location symlinked to
> another location.  The ownership and group are both set to mythtv user
> with read/write/execute permissions for owner and group.  I didn't think
> that there was any problem with this set up as the backend is currently
> recording programs to this location happily and I can watch any existing
> recording from the same location.

Why such a complicated setup?

It seems like the frontend is trying to access the LiveTV ringbuffer in
/var/lib/mythtv/recordings, rather than wherever else you've got it
symlinked to. Can you verify that the user the frontend runs as can read
files from /var/lib/mythtv/recordings?

Cheers,