[mythtvnz] MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 05:42:16 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the general things you will find about mythtv devs is that they
> don't care much for livetv "thats not how its designed to be used, record
> what you want to watch and watch it when you have the time, its a new
> paradigm, change your life forever blah blah blah."

It's not that the devs don't care about it, it's just that they don't use
it. So they don't see the issues that some people seem to have and don't fix
them. If the issues were consistent I'm sure that they'd get attention, but
them seem to only affect certain setups and don't seem to be that easy to
diagnose.

Ultimately the nature of open source is this: if you want it fixed you
either have to fix it yourself or find someone who already cares about it
and can fix it. You'll struggle to convince anyone that a feature they don't
use is important enough to them to put much effort in.

The other point I'd make is that if you don't care about the "new paradigm",
if Live TV is your main thing, then you're probably better off with a MySky
box or another good PVR. Live TV is simply not one of MythTVs strengths. If
you must have MythTV then it'll annoy you less if you make a conscious
effort to adopt the paradigm and forget about LiveTV and to convince the
other users in your household to do the same. There are good advantages to
recording, even if you watch while it's recording: commercial skipping and
time stretch are the obvious biggies. It took a couple of months to convince
my wife to stop wanting to watch stuff when it was on, but now we almost
never use Live TV and we don't miss it at all.

Cheers,