[mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

James Booth james at booths.net.nz
Thu Jun 18 21:47:10 BST 2009

From: mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
[mailto:mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Tim Gibson
Sent: Thursday, 18 June 2009 6:12 p.m.
To: stephen at jsw.gen.nz; MythTV in NZ
Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

>  Also unless you want a real performance hit I'd shy away from splitting
your 1TB drive into 2 500G partitions and adding them into the same RAID
array as the > data would then be written to the same physical drive twice.

> p.s I'm now running ext4 on my main storage drive, so far no problems...
touch wood.

> Tim

But each partition of a mirrored pair is on a different disk. On the
assumption that you are generally only writing to one mirrored pair at a
time there should be no 'dual write' issues.