[mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Mon Jun 15 20:18:01 BST 2009

Steve Hodge wrote:
>     Not quite. Lose a drive in a RAID5 and the rebuilt will mean
>     accessing every  bit on every remaining drive. That can add enough
>     stress to cause a second drive to fail. Lose a drive in a RAID1 and
>     at worst the load will double, and then only if you keep using the
>     filesystem.

> I should have mentioned that eventually you'll have to read all the data
> off the remaining drive of the mirror as well, my point was that in
> practice RAID5 rebuilds have been more problematic.

Well RAID is a means to an end.... which is uptime.

If the RAID succeeds (ie a drive failed and the RAID kept your data
available) then your job is to build a new array and copy the data over.
RAID lets you do that at a convenient time soon after.

If one disk has failed you should be replacing all of them.
RAID is not a money-saving mechanism.

So has anyone got a SSD in their mythboxes?   (not a CF card)

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/