[mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

Jim Cheetham jim at inode.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 10:38:29 BST 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Karl Leaning<mythtv at objectivity.co.nz> wrote:
> Umm, no with raid 5, you lose a drive not the data. add a new drive
> "rebuild" the set and continue as normal...

Yes, true. Do you have a spare drive online? If you did, wouldn't you
be using it as a hot spare or part of the data set already?

If you lose a second drive while one drive is out of action ... you
lose data. Gone.

http://baarf.com/

RAID5 doesn't give enough protection for your data, especially given
the relative costs of media today. It has horrible failure modes,
especially given that we don't know about drive health (most drive try
self-healing without telling the OS that it's happening ... only
informsingthe OS when a fatal error has occured). For big systems,
RAID5 does not deliver decent performance (unlikely to be important
for MythTV usages)

> I have three 500GB drives in a raid-5 set.

Sounds like three nice 250GB RAID1 volumes to me :-)

-jim