[mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Jun 15 04:53:58 BST 2009

> Having just had a near-death experience with my non-RAID LVM system
> for Myth, I am about to convert everything to a RAID-5 setup (software
> RAID) with LVM on top. Before I go ahead does anyone have any
> recommendations on best choice of file system to use, given that it
> will be within LVM on RAID-5? I was going to go with XFS, but that
> cannot be shrunk, which (as I have found) can be very irritating when
> trying to reorganise your disks in an LVM. I know there are a bunch of
> hot new file systems out now, but I? wary of trying something new in
> an a setup like this.

Having just this last week built a replacement for my 6 year old server,
I've basically used the same scheme again.

Huge raid5 array (the definition of huge is now very different to what it
was 6 years ago!!), LVM2 over the top, recordings and video partitions
with jfs (large files but not many of them) and ext3 for all the other
partitions (email, music etc). The system disk is separate and gets
regular backups into an external device, most of the stuff on the raid
array is expendable but by using smartd and mdadm I get an email if
something starts to fail.

Interesting that the new box is 10 times faster, has 5 times as much disk,
4 times as much ram and consumes less than half as much power...

--
Robin Gilks