[mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

steve steve at greengecko.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 03:46:13 BST 2009

If you really do expect to be dynamically changing file system sizes in
the future, then I'd go reiserfs. Personally, I doubt that this is going
to happen, so I'd stick with good old ext3, unless you're going to have
thousands of files in a small number of directories... unlikely with a
myth box!

Personally, now that 1TB disks are now comfortably under $200 each, I
don't even bother with Raid 5 now, but use plain mirroring instead.

Actually, that's not exactly true... with the cost of GB switches I
actually use a dedicated FreeNAS box and RAID 0+1 to get the best of all
worlds and hide my data where burglars ($deity forbid!) won't find it.

Steve.