[mythtvnz] File System for RAID-5

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Mon Jun 15 03:46:07 BST 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 14:41 +1200, Jonathan Hoskin wrote:
> Also, if you have a bit more money to burn, why not consider RAID-10
> over RAID-5? RAID-5 comes from a time when disks were expensive and n
> +1 redundancy was a lot cheaper than n+n. Nowadays n+n on desktop
> drives is cheap enough, and software RAID-10 is going to be way faster
> than RAID-5.

One point is that you can easily add more disk to a RAID5, and it's fast
enough for most things.

Personally I use JFS mounted on RAID5, no LVM. Not for TV recordings
though, they are just on a single partition as I don't care about them.

Always remember, RAID is for uptime, backups are for data security.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier