[mythtvnz] freeware vs open source (was USB remote receiver)

Alan Walls Alan.Walls at trimble.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 03:17:23 BST 2009

I thought I might, but didn't want to start a flame war.

I completely agree that GPL is quite different to freeware and its
openness is a huge asset.  The majority of the people here should
understand that.  What we fail to remember is that we don't represent
the majority of the population.

If I ask my mother what the difference between GPL and freeware was I'm
pretty sure the answer would be "What is GPL?"

I believe this company is just using language that their audience
understands.  Although, maybe I am being generous because this is a
technical product.