[mythtvnz] USB remote receiver

Alan Walls Alan.Walls at trimble.co.nz
Mon Jun 15 02:10:02 BST 2009

I agree that finding a motherboard can be an issue.  When I replaced my motherboard recently I had to get a USB-Serial adapter to send serial commands on my amp and projector.

One problem with USB is that it has a very short cable range of about 5m.  In my case the computer isn't near the screen so I have a long cable run of about 15m between the computer and IR receiver.  Maybe a 15m USB cable run would have worked but it is way out of spec.  A string of powered USB hubs also wasn't a very viable option.

I agree freeware and GPL are different but only to developers (and lawyers) (Aren't you both :-) ).  For people who don't want anything to do with compilers they are both the same thing.  Saying "GPL" would confuse rather than help these people.  The people who need to know the difference will do the research to find which is which.