[mythtvnz] Channel change stability issues with MythTV and VDPAU in NZ

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 08:56:55 BST 2009

Hi

2009/6/7 Steven Ellis <steven at openmedia.co.nz>:
> I still get the occasional "Error was encountered" while changing channels,
> but I haven't had a crash yet..

I think I've identified what the problem could be.

Haven't looked in that code there, but from some error messages I saw,
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason.

So, a mythfrontend tries to watch LiveTV
mythbackend kicks the capture card and start a recording
mythfrontend now waits for that recording to be available for a set
period of time
once the recording has buffered enough and is available, mythfrontend
starts playback

Now when you change channel quickly: it goes on like this:
mythfrontend tries to watch LiveTV
mythbackend kicks the capture card and start a recording
mythfrontend now waits for that recording to be available for a set
period of time
mythfrontend change channel
wait time above lapsed start to try watching the new recordings which
doesn't exist yet: failure

When changing channel very fast, a few times I saw in the log that
buffering time had lapsed and then an error that a given recording
didn't exist.

As the mythtv developers do not use LiveTV, I'm guessing they never
really looked at this issue.

Jean-Yves