[mythtvnz] Getting Prime - Analogue USB tuner?

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Fri Jun 5 22:18:23 BST 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen <
ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've really been missing Prime TV.  I was kind of hoping that it might
> might make it to Freeview but it seems like it could be a year or two
> away!  So I am wondering what the best way is for me to get it running
> on my system.  I currently have a Hauppauge Win Nova-T 500 DVB-T dual
> tuner installed.  I increased the virtual tuner count so I can record of
> up to two muxes simultaneously which I think is all I'm going to need
> for the channels/content available at the moment.  So I'm reluctant to
> buy HVR 2200 (although it does look tasty) or similar dual function card
> and thought that maybe an analogue USB tuner might do the trick in the
> meantime.  What do others do for Prime and is the USB an option and what
> recommendations are there.  I only have one PCIe card slot available now
> (should have bought a full sized motherboard).
>
> Ross

I have a Pinnacle Dazzle USB tuner device that just plugs into the analogue
aerial. I haven't needed to use it in MythTV because I get everything I need
from Freeview & Sky, but I did try it once as an experiment and it seemed to
work. They are cheap enough to have a crack without burning too many bridges
or cash.

- David