[mythtvnz] MHEG fix for freeview HD

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Fri Jun 5 02:45:00 BST 2009

[re-ordered top posting]

>> On Wed, May 27, 2009 10:20 am, Aaron Drysdale wrote:
>> > Looks cool. Any reason why I would want to use the Freeview MHEG-5
>> EPG,
>> > over the Mythtv EPG?  I assume that the information present is the
>> same
>> > data available over EIT?
>> >

>> On freeview|HD the EIT information only provides now/next.
>>
>> Plus you can't program via the MHEG-5 EPG (yet)
>>
> If I understand all this correctly and to summarise, on Freeview|HD there
> is
> not a full EPG data stream to populate our "week ahead" of programme guide
> in Mythtv? On Satellite Freeview, however, there is full information. I
> currently have only the satellite dish going and have viewed the MHEG data
> on that. (though not at the moment apparently)
> If I set up a machine with mixed Satellite and HD sources, can I use the
> EIT
> off the dish for all program guide data?
>
> Regards
> Barry

Three sources of on-air data:

EPG - on the Satellite broadcasts - both Sky and Freeview flavours are
available so Prime info is available. Mythtv doesn't process this
directly, epgsnoop (using the dvbsnoop program) and mythfilldatabase (with
the xmltv grabber) massage this into a useful format. There are listing
available on the net that are derived from this data source.

EIT - Specific to the channel being viewed and as I understand it, on both
Satellite and terrestrial but the latter has only now and next programs.

MHEG-5 - interactive information that also happens to have scheduling
information. Designed to be human rather than machine readable and
displayed directly to the user by the frontend at present with no backend
interaction to get the scheduling info from it.

--
Robin Gilks