[mythtvnz] [OT] audio recording issue

Jason Haar jhaar-ourshack-com at whanau.org
Thu Jun 4 09:53:59 BST 2009

On 06/04/2009 08:24 PM, Hadley Rich wrote:

>> I would have thought that using the same codec as is used in a
>> hardware SIP phone would give the same sound quality from a PC.
>>

> It possibly to get the same sound quality but that doesn't mean it
> always happens, protocol implementations, processing and of course
> acoustics all play a part.

As I mentioned - skype sounds great and so does "asound -f cd" - so it's
not a hardware problem. Also I'm using the same codecs our Cisco
softphones (Windows only) use and they sound fine. It seems to me that
recording voice is just not done in real numbers on Linux - and so it's
implemented poorly?

> Perhaps this would be better discussed on something such as the NZVoIP
> group, it's really not at all on topic here.

I'll take the hint. I'd certainly like to get it working. I'd actually
be able to get rid of the work phone I have at home if it worked well

Jason