[mythtvnz] [OT] audio recording issue

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Thu Jun 4 08:34:27 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 19:08 +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> No - I tried all that. In the end I brought up an Asterisk server,
> forced only G729 and G726 and still it's sounds awful - in fact I
> basically don't hear any difference between the different codecs.
> Fundamental issues like hearing static when I say "s" words is common.
> Running "file" on the voicemails show they are all 8000Hz, whereas the
> "asound -f cd" which sounds great is 44KHz - which is what I think the
> problem is. However, I am not an audio-guru so it's complete guesswork
> for me.

I'm not surprised, a lot of people find G729 and friends sound less than
good. Asterisk is narrowband (8 kHz) too, like the traditional phone
network.

If you're doing end to end VoIP and what is in between supports wideband
codecs (G722, CELT, some Speex etc.) for example FreeSWITCH then you can
get great sound. You'll need decent audio hardware too.

If you're using a VoIP provider or going out to the PSTN at all then it
will be narrowband.

Typically people find a hardware SIP phone gives much better call.
quality

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
New Zealand's Open Source Hardware Supplier