[mythtvnz] Channel change stability issues with MythTV and VDPAU in NZ

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Mon Jun 1 04:26:22 BST 2009

I've finally got a debug dumps from a recent Jean-Yves MythTV build
that shows the two issues I'm regularly seeing with VDPAU playback of
freeview|HD here in NZ.

1. MythTV frontend exits during a channel change

Test environment
     * Ubuntu 8.10 32bit
     * NVidia VDPAU 185.19
     * mythtv - 1:0.21.0+fixes-20550-openglvdpau-debug-0ubuntu2

You can find the debug files here

http://www.mythtv.co.nz/shared/vdpau/channel_crash/gdb.txt
http://www.mythtv.co.nz/shared/vdpau/channel_crash/myth.log

To produce the problem I select a freeview|HD only channel, and then
change between random channels reasonably quickly until the frontend
exits, or I hit my other issue shown below.

2. Live TV exits with the message "Error was encountered while
displaying video", but the frontend doesn't crash.

Test environment
     * Ubuntu 8.10 32bit
     * NVidia VDPAU 185.18.14
     * mythtv - 1:0.21.0+fixes-20649-openglvdpau-debug-0ubuntu2

http://www.mythtv.co.nz/shared/vdpau/channel_error/gdb.txt
http://www.mythtv.co.nz/shared/vdpau/channel_error/myth.log

For this problem the gdb.txt is probably less useful as it was
generated while the error message was on screen.

I've also reproduced both of these problems under Ububtu 9.04 32bit,
but I wasn't running a debug enabled build at the time

I have a feeling that both of these issues are down to error handling
when the reception picks up a set of bad frames that the H.264 decoder
struggles to handle.

Jean-Yves - I'd really appreciate your input and guidance on these
problems.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited