[mythtvnz] SBS on Optus D1

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Jul 30 12:24:46 BST 2009

On 30/07/2009, at 8:47 PM, Simon Green wrote:

> 2009/7/30 Rama Madhusudhan <mrama at orcon.net.nz>
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone noticed this or tried?
> http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/forum/index.php/topic,1011.0.html
>
> Haven't tried it (I live in Australia so get SBS anyway!) Two things
> I'll point out to help you:
>
> SBS 3 and SBS4 are just rebroadcasts of SBS One. The only HD content
> that SBS One HD has ever shown in the Ashes cricket. Everything else
> is just upscaled from the SD channel (including all local content).
>
> SBS broadcast in the vertical polarity, while Freeview and Sky
> Digital are horizontal. This means that you won't be able to use the
> same dish to watch SBS and a NZ satellite channel at the same time.

If you have a dual output LNB you can watch both at the same time.

Reasonably easy to set-up

I advise creating an additional video source and assigning it to a
fake diseqc entry for your DVB-S card so you can play with the various
EPG sources.

Using the following screen shot as a sample for how to perform the
scan xbut change the following options

http://support.mypvr.co.nz/mypvr/images/screen_capture/dvb/mythtv_channel_scan_dth.jpg

Video Source = Australia
Frequency = 12646000
Polarity = Vertical
SR = 12600000
FEC = Auto
Inversion = Auto

SBS HD is 720p MPEG2 with MP2 audio so just works
SBS 1 is an SD duplicate of SBS HD
SBS 2 has other material
SBS 3-4 are place holders
Plus you have two SBS radio stations

If anyone wants to play with mplayer here is a channels.conf file

SBS ONE:12646:v:0:12600:161:81:897
SBS TWO:12646:v:0:12600:162:83:898
SBS 3:12646:v:0:12600:161:81:899
SBS 4:12646:v:0:12600:161:81:900
SBS HD:12646:v:0:12600:102:103:901
SBS Radio 1:12646:v:0:12600:0:201:910
SBS Radio 2:12646:v:0:12600:0:202:911

I'm getting this on a Toroidal T90 in Auckland and the signal strength
is way above freeview.

You could use EIT for program information but at the moment I"m using
Shepherd. Watched a couple of shows last night but nothing I'm
interesting in tonight.

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited