[mythtvnz] Zotac ION ATOM boot device recommendation / opinions

Barry Clearwater barryc at bcsystems.co.nz
Thu Jul 23 01:50:05 BST 2009

AFAIK Ubuntu still supports NFS which ive used in my myth media box for
quite a while. I'm not clear on the kernel vs userspace issues but I know it
runs. I have just done a Backend  install with mythbuntu 9.04 and some
things are broken in the Mythbuntu Control Centre (MCC) especially for the
Diskless Server. Here's what I've found.
I used MCC to setup diskless server and it does the ltsp stuff and gets that
going with minimal fuss, there is then the customising and everything to get
it to do all you want. When I began to use the Frontend MCC (which crashed
each time I exited it) I ran into trouble, and ended up trying the shell
based stuff untill more frustration put me off it. The how to is covered in
a pdf you can download from the mythbuntu site.
In the end, i went and installed mythbuntu by hand onto a USB stick which
works fairly well so far. I'll go back to the squashfs/ltsp version a bit
later when I have time as it seems a really nice idea. I'm hoping not to get
too many issues with it.
I'm about to do the VDPAU stuff on the stick based frontend and will report
on my progress.
Barry

2009/7/23 Mark de Reeper <mark.dereeper at gmail.com>

> I haven't had to build a kernel for a while but used to do it for this
> reason, net booting. I haven't checked recent distro's to see if this is a
> default item on their kernels, don't have one to hand to try.
>

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>

>> > Just wondering where you got the NFS root aware kernel, did you build it
>> > yourself (looks like a gentoo based one from the name in your config)?
>>
>> I always build my own - old habits etc from the days when there wasn't
>> really much choice!! (circa 1997).
>>
>> I take it that the normal packaged systems like Ubuntu don't have nfs
>> support built in?
>>

>> --
>> Robin Gilks

Barry Clearwater