[mythtvnz] Video card for a diskless frontend?

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jul 19 12:10:06 BST 2009

>> The TV is a JVC AV-32X4BA.
>
>This is almost certainly a SD CRT - which quite likely overscans.  An old card which runs the older drivers - including overscan
>adjustment - may well be best for this TV -  unless you will not want to run a desktop at all.
>
>Buy a fancy graphics card when you buy a HD TV - they'll be cheaper and more power efficient.
>
>Also be aware of the varieties of S-Video - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video   As has been mentioned on list S-Video is
>confusing -  they are not all the same or even equal.
>
>Also consider that the advantage of S-Video over composite is minimal and not worth (IMHO) the extra cable cost or hassle.

> Wrong, the image quality from S-Video is noticeably superior to
composite video.  You may be thinking of component video, which is
reportedly not much different from S-Video in quality (I have not
tried that myself).

Response:  I am not sure how MHO can be "wrong" but apparently it can. These references may assist:

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech/video-connections.html
http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

"S-Video carries standard definition video (typically at 480i or 576i resolution)" much the same as composite....
"S-Video.....it is also the poorest quality-wise, being far surpassed by the more complex component video schemes (like RGB).
S-Video is not being used for high definition standards because the carrier frequency of the colour signal modulation would have to
be adjusted."

In my limited testing of the two formats I could not see a difference.  The specs do not speak of vast improvements either.  Perhaps
there were hardware issues in my case. YMMV - as does others.

I would say that 720p/1080i YPbPr  is "noticeably superior" to composite SD however you are unlikely to get HD out of the TV
referred.

Note RGB is an earlier incarnation of YPbPr and they are not the same.

I think this highlights that individual user kit and testing and opinion will be important!

If you can get a good reference source for all three then you will be well placed to make your own mind up which you prefer and
whether the TV actually offers anything better over the better formats than it does via composite!