[mythtvnz] Video card for a diskless frontend?

Brett Miller blmiller at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Jul 19 08:40:35 BST 2009

Hi Stuart

I would suggest the EN9500GT-512K with S-video VGA & DVI  (VGA also) $110
from the right places.
This is available silent form so better thermal/noise management.

The 9400gt-512K is only $10 less and can not do the hardware de-interlace
x2.
Both PCI-e. & DDR2
These models are avail with DVI HDMI only ? so be careful what you
order/buy.
The silent cards are full height & wider ! Beware space/slot requirements.

The video card is sometimes the cheapest component in a PC but the most
important in a HTPC.
Too much video grute is a possible waste of power & costs money to run.
The power management of video cards is still not very effective in real
tests.

What is the model of TV ?
The CRT TV will have limited set of operating modes it will sync.
The TV may perform upscaling/pre-scaling etc.
Might need to use custom modeline entries for X.

The X server/Nvidia interface/configuration is a big weakness of Linux so
expect problems.
There are connection arrangements with dual head video cards that I have not
had success by "xorg.conf" file manipulation.

More than happy for anyone to disagree with the above..

Brett.