[mythtvnz] OT: recording from VHS

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 09:43:25 BST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 8:20 PM, Stephen
Worthington<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:45:04 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 19:22 +1200, Tortise wrote:
>>> The best recording format may be H264 - at either 576i or possibly even de-interlaced to 576p but maybe no advantage in 576p as the
>>> de-interlace would do its stuff on playback in any event.?  (Reason - smaller files)
>>> I am not sure how we'd do that in H264 though and the kit would need to be up to SD H264.
>>> Has anyone tried this?

no the pvr 150/500 cannot do that afaik.

> Of course, all of the above assumes that your VHS tapes are good
> quality.  If they are not, then the hardware compression to MPEG-2
> will likely not produce a result that is much different from playing
> the tape.  And it is *much* easier to do.
>
> Also, if you have access to an S-VHS video, that is a better tool for
> capturing old tapes.  S-Video has much wider bandwidth and the S-VHS
> videos

you confuse s-vhs (a recording format) and s-video (an encoding on an
analogue pair of wires), although I accept that s-vhs devices usually
featured a s-video connector to take advantage of the increased
quality. Logically the two standards are unrelated.

"It is not unusual to see the term S-VHS incorrectly used to refer to
S-Video connectors (also called "Y/C connectors"), even in printed
material. This may be due to S-VHS being one of the more common
consumer video products equipped with the s-video connector"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-VHS