[mythtvnz] OT: recording from VHS

Criggie criggie at criggie.dyndns.org
Sat Jul 18 07:45:32 BST 2009

Jim Cheetham wrote:
> I'd like to increase the utility value of a stack of VHS cassette
> tapes I have here, by digitising them so they can be played back by
> Myth. I still have a working VHS player (with RF and RCA outputs).
> What hardware would be good to get that would help me record from the
> player? I only have DVB-S cards at the moment ...

Video tapes are standard definition, so anything "high def" would be a waste.

I use an old nicam recorder plugged into the RCA composite input of one of
my PVR150 (the other one doesn't have these physical sockets)

However the quality isn't great, and of course you can only watch at 1
speed :)

Others have recommended cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg
but I run up mythfrontend and record closer to the desired position by
simply pressing R while watching.  Be aware that the tape is running
anything from 2-5 seconds ahead of what you see and hear on screen though.

Then once the recording is done, you can edit the cutlist and transcode
out adverts or any lead in/out.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/