[mythtvnz] Going cold turkey (was: MythTV upgrade, bleeding code, ready for tester)

Barry Clearwater barryc at bcsystems.co.nz
Mon Jul 6 04:27:21 BST 2009

I agree with the paradigm, but there are two clear instances that interrupt
my "perfect" world:
miss 4yr old, watching Kidzone on 6, when Myth is being used as a virtual
baby sitter (Sigh)
Live netball, though now we tend to press record and jump into the
recordings, coming up to date with ffwd in the ads.

So really - just on the advert free channels when blobbing out!

Barry

2009/7/6 David Lowe <david at thistledown.co.nz>

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  The other point I'd make is that if you don't care about the "new
>> paradigm", if Live TV is your main thing, then you're probably better off
>> with a MySky box or another good PVR. Live TV is simply not one of MythTVs
>> strengths. If you must have MythTV then it'll annoy you less if you make a
>> conscious effort to adopt the paradigm and forget about LiveTV and to
>> convince the other users in your household to do the same.
>>

> I've been using MythTV for nearly two years & have found it hard to
> convince the family to adopt the new paradigm, until i hit on a solution...
> give them no choice. I had an old rear projection TV that I hated and gave
> away, planning to upgrade. While searching for the upgrade, I just put a 21"
> computer monitor in the lounge. No analogue receiver, no direct sky input,
> but a surprisingly clear and watchable picture... they had no choice but to
> use Myth (or as my daughter calls it 'Blue'. It's both a noun and a verb
> already!).
>
> Three months later, still no 42" replacement and everyone has come to adopt
> the new paradigm.
>
> But now the pressure is on to resolve some annoyances which I'll address in
> another post...
>
> - David

Barry Clearwater

Email: barryc at bcsystems.co.nz