[mythtvnz] Getting DVB-T working under Linux

Simon Cantem scantem at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 05:33:14 GMT 2009

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an Asus u3100 USB DVB-T tuner stick and I've been having a
bit of trouble getting it running under Linux. I believe I have a fully
functioning channels.conf file for Christchurch (I used w_scan to build it),
and have come up against the following:

* I'm running ubuntu 8.10, everything's up to date
* The kernel finds it OK, it shows up in dmesg and an adapter is created in
/dev/dvb
* It works under xine - sort of. I can get TV3 to work with both video and
audio, but with the rest of the channels I only get video (I noticed TV3
uses a different audio codec).
* I can't get it to work under mplayer (my player of choice), it seems to
find it OK but I don't get any video or audio for any channels, and the
window which usually pops up in X to display the video doesn't even appear.
I get the following in the console:

Playing dvb://TV3.
dvb_tune Freq: 698000000
TS file format detected.
VIDEO MPEG2(pid=450) AUDIO MPA(pid=400) NO SUBS (yet)!  PROGRAM N. 0

* If I do a dumpstream in mplayer or cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 to a ts file
I can't play it in mplayer, I get "codec 0x50 not found" or if I turn off
the audio "video stream not found"
* I've tried both mplayer 1.0rc2 in the main ubuntu repo and the latest
version out of subversion, both without success
* If I use Kaffeine it only finds TV3, but it plays that with both video and
sound

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next, reading through the
mailing list here and on the mplayer mailing list I can't find anyone who's
come up against this before (which makes me think I'm missing something
really simple or it's a very difficult problem!)

Thanks,
Simon