[mythtvnz] Nvidia Ion

Hadley Rich hads at nice.net.nz
Tue Jan 13 21:30:44 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 10:23:20 Nick Rout wrote:
> Once several things are sorted:
>
> 1. will nvidia even be able to make these boards for a decent price
> given intel's stated policy of only selling atom cpus with the
> associated intel chipsets (which nvidia don't want to use or spend
> money on).

Here's a snippet saying that there's no issue;

http://www.techpowerup.com/79933/Intel_Denies_False_Report_-
_No_one_Prevents_Vendors_from_Using_NVIDIA_s_Ion_Platform.html

> 2. myth 0.22 needs to be released, otherwise you are into trunk
> territory. See discussions on the mythtv user mailing list about the
> dangers of joe blogg using trunk, it requires dedication and an
> understanding of the code, as well as watching the -dev and -commit
> mailing lists.

Agreed

> Yes ion will make a good HD front end. But I fear 0.22 is a way off,
> there are very major chages (to qt4, new UI engine as well as all the
> vdpau and hdpvr stuff)

I have a feeling it's not as far off as you might think, the devs are making
their way through things quite well. It certainly is a release with some big
changes though.

hads
--
http://nicegear.co.nz
VoIP, DVB and other Linux compatible hardware.