[mythtvnz] Nvidia Ion

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Jan 13 05:24:11 GMT 2009

On 13/1/09 5:36 PM, Hadley Rich wrote:
> Here's a link that may be of interest to those looking for quiet low power
> frontends;
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/12/nvidia-ion-platform-gets-demonstrated-at-
> ces/
>
> hads

I've had a play with the Atom 330 Intel board last week (BOXD945GCLF2).
Just using a stock standard install of MythDora 5/MythTV 0.21, playing
back recordings from my PVR-350 and DVB-S card, had it using ≈ 30-36%
CPU according to top.  That was outputting to a 1280x1024 monitor with
no deinterlacers, and according to a power monitor, it was hovering
around 33-40W.

I didn't have a good chance to play round with different playback
profiles, but even without the VDPAU code, these machines make fine SD
frontends.  Add in Nvidia's version with their GPU and these machines
will be worth checking out.

  - Wade